Cartoon Network has confirmed its plans to reboot “PowerPuff Girls in 2016.
The announcement came from chief content officer Rob Sorcher at the 2014 Licensing Expo in Las Vegas on Monday, according to the
“The original PowerPuff Girls was a franchise phenomenon for Cartoon Network, paving the way for a new generation of innovative storytellers and enthusiastic fans worldwide. We’re calling these girls back into action based upon an overwhelming demand for sugar, spice and Chemical X,” Sorcher said in a statement.
“PowerPuff Girls” ran for six seasons from 1998 to 2005 and has won two Emmy Awards and five nominations. The animation follows the life of the three “PowerPuffs” named Blossom, Buttercup and Bubbles, Gulf News has said.
Earlier this year, the series returned to the network for a special episode that was considered successful. Throughout its run, the brand received approximately $2.5 billion in retail sales and has been considered as one of the network’s most successful show, GMA Network has said.
Pete Yoder, vice president of consumer products for North America Cartoon Network Enterprises said, “As the original ambassador of ‘girl power,’ the PowerPuff Girls brand continues to resonate with people of all ages and there is tremendous excitement around introducing Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup to a new generation.”
He continued, “With proven success and great content plans in place, there’s so much potential that we’re looking forward to explore with our licensing partners in the coming weeks.”
Meanwhile, Melissa Tinker, vice president of Cartoon Network in Asia Pacific also expressed her excitement for the upcoming reboot.
“We can’t wait to unleash this unique brand of cute and chic into the Australia and New Zealand markets. While in Asia, this will further expand and complement our existing PowerPuff business, a licensing program which already enjoys great success across our markets,” she said.