Freddie Roach believes that his fighter will win by knockout in a possible Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto rematch and that being in shape is enough for his ward to win.
The six-time Boxing Writers of America Trainer of the Year recently spoke to Marcos Villegas of and expressed his thoughts on the possible fight.
“[He] knocks Mayweather out,” Roach simply said about the Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto rematch.
Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto first faced each other in May 2012. The fight, which drew $1.8 million buys, was fought at light middleweight, with WBA and WBC titles on the line. It was also the second time “Money” was fighting at light middleweight, with the first one being against Oscar De La Hoya in 2007.
Floyd Mayweather did come out victorious via a 12-round unanimous decision victory, but Miguel Cotto was able to inflict significant damage. “Money” himself admitted during the post-fight interview that Miguel Cotto was the toughest opponent he has ever faced.
Floyd Mayweather went on to serve a two-month prison sentence for domestic abuse a month after, but the said fight against “Junito” was recorded to be the biggest guaranteed purse in the sport’s history, amounting to $32 million.
News about a possible Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto rematch arose right after “Junito” defeated Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez on Saturday night. The win gave “Junito” the distinction of being the first Puerto Rican boxer to win world titles in five different weight divisions.
For Freddie Roach, however, the possible Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto rematch is guaranteed to change, mostly because of how age has so far affected “Money’s” performance.
“All you have to do with him is to stay in shape, just beat him to it all night long,” Roach said, referring to Floyd Mayweather in a separate interview with. “I think his legs are gone, and he says he doesn’t want to move anymore because he wants to please the fans.”
“I think that’s bull****,” he added. “I think he’s shot. I think he won’t fight any of my guys.”