Former “The View” host Barbara Walters has officially tendered her resignation from the show last month, but rumor has it that the 84-year-old will be returning really soon.
However, contrary to popular belief, Walters will only return to “The View” as a guest and not as an official host.
Walters will talk about a previous interview she had with Peter Rodger, the father of Santa Barbara killer Elliot Rodger, according to
NY Daily News.
ABC’s “20/20” will air on Friday, June 27 and will feature the said interview and Walters will be taping the episode on Wednesday, June 25.
Walters confirmed the news via
Twitter where she shared a photograph of herself with Peter Rodger. She wrote, “Sat down earlier today with Peter Rodger, father of Santa Barbara shooter. Watch Fri on @ABC2020.”
Elliot Rodger allegedly killed six people and injured 13 others before taking away his own life near the University of California last month. Following his death, Walters interviewed Elliot’s father where they talked about living life in the midst of controversies and more.
Meanwhile, Walters’ last episode on “The View” aired on May 16. Even though she is no longer seen on camera, the 84-year-old witty host still serves as the executive producer of the show she created 17 years ago, alongside Bill Geddie, E! News has said.
“The View’s” May 16 episode marked its fourth most watched episode with 5.2 million viewers for the past 17 years and 20 seasons.
In 2013, Walters announced her retirement and said, “I do not want to appear on another program or climb another mountain. I want instead to sit on a sunny field and admire the very gifted women – and OK, some men too, who will be taking my place.”
At present, the remaining panel on the show include “Sister Act” star Whoopi Goldberg, “Insurgent” actress Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy.
“The View” airs on weekdays on ABC at 11 a.m.